Hiya Players! Like it or not, We’re living in the days of sequels, ‘series’ and sub-par remakes. This is a time where most games you play will have a number beside them, regardless of it’s a continuation or just the new annual carbon copy. More often than not, larger companies are going this route than investing in new IPs (Intellectual Properties) which is a little sad but as they say “that’s life”.
I’m not saying by any means that all sequels in series get worse as the time goes on, but this does tend to be the case for most of the recent participants I’ve played. I’ve abandoned a numerous series over the years, as I’m sure you have as well, for various reasons including degradation of quality. Be it something like GTA for the lack of fun and the increase in shame for basing a game entirely around beating up hookers; or a simple one like Mario for just being massive and overly repetitive.
There are good ones though I wish I had dedicated more time to, like the God of War series or Kingdom Hearts. Console restrictions or lack of motivation aside, series like these leave me wondering ‘what if I played these more?’.
That bring me to a few questions to ask you Players:
1. What series do you regret not having played through to completion?
2. What series of games is your favorite?
3. What games do you wish they would just stop making?
4. What game do you wish they’d make a sequel for?
When posted to myself I’d have to answer:
1. God of War, Professor Layton, Kingdom Hearts
2. Zelda or Pokemon; They’re usually very similar but are familiar and different enough to make me spend time on it.
3. Call of Duty & any other present-day, military-based FPS. I’m tired of that crap filling shelf spots that innovative games could have.
4. Personally, I’d love to see a sequel of Conker’s Bad Fur Day (N64) made by Rare, without the input of Microsoft. We’ll never see it happen, but it would be glorious!
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below, or in our Google+ Community!